Opportunities with FWJ
Fifth Wednesday Journal is a vibrant and growing national literary magazine. We have been around for more than eight years and have celebrated publication of sixteen issues. We have published more than 500 artists, many of whom are established writers on the national and international scene. We are an independent, nonprofit organization. We are interested in talking with you if you think you would like to join our team. Do you feel you have the skill, talent, and energy to contribute to a literary organization with a future? If so, contact us at editors@FifthWednesdayJournal.org and put “Opportunities at FWJ” in the subject line. Include in the body of the message your name and where you live. We’ll be in touch with you.
- Managing Editor
We are searching for experience, energy, imagination, and a high level of commitment. This is a major position with a strong national literary publication. The managing editor will:
- build and manage production schedules, including working closely with the copy editor, the layout editor, proofreaders, printer, and authors.
- use tools such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, etc.
- use various social media and other marketing efforts, including composing and editing newsletters and announcements intended for mass distribution.
- participate in organizing and promoting literary events for small and large audiences.
- review, edit, and proofread literary texts of various genres.
- be a self-starter and ready to accept decision-making responsibilities.
- Layout & Design Editor Our layout editor is responsible for the overall appearance and the internal order of each issue of the magazine. The layout editor produces the galleys for proofreading, constructs the Table of Contents, prepares the final copy for the printer, and works with the printer to ensure complete, accurate, and timely production of the magazine. The layout & design editor coordinates the creation, appearance, and timeliness of our website pages. The layout and design editor must be experienced in the use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Interns If you live in the Chicago or west suburban area, are interested in learning what it takes to publish a literary magazine, and you are willing to work independently on assigned projects, you can gain experience as an intern at FWJ.
NOTE: As of June 2015 we have an opening for a serious intern with skill in the Adobe package (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc).
- Assistant Editors This is the most rewarding part of the editorial work for a literary magazine. Reading and evaluating the work of others is strong medicine for your own writing. We ask that assistant editors commit to at least two issues of the magazine. We expect our assistant editors to be serious writers with some publications. Past experience in reading submissions for a literary publication is a solid plus.
Note: As of June 2015, we have several openings for qualified readers of creative nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Reading for the spring 2016 issue begins in August.
Commitment, professional attitude, and editorial experience with a literary publication are the most important attributes. Residence in or near the Chicago area is important.